Dario Argento is the best director of horror films?Personally, when he made the first movie, not really appreciated, but with time, I must say, that I began to understand his obsession.
Dario Argento, in fact, puts his own obsessions, fears, in his films.
Suspense, fear, terror, these are the emotions you feel when you see a film by Dario Argento.
In the '70s Italian cinema, he entered a serious crisis of content, but also economic, from which it has never recovered, except in some cases - Benigni and a few others -.
Dario Argento, with its horror movies succeeded, once again, to make a great Italian cinema, with the soundtrack from Goblin, gave the suspense, the fear of death aura of magic, constantly prelude to the end.
The main characters had to die somehow, and we never knew nor where, nor how, nor who would be the murderess, usually psychopathic, as in Deep Red.
Here, is a tribute to the films of Dario Argento.
Dario Argento As director:
- The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (1970; Italian: L'uccello dalle piume di cristallo) (also writer)
- The Cat o' Nine Tails (1971; Italian: Il gatto a nove code) (also writer)
- Four Flies on Grey Velvet (1971; Italian: 4 mosche di velluto grigio) (also writer)
- The Five Days (1973; Italian: Le cinque giornate) (also writer)
- Door into Darkness (TV series; episodes "Testimone oculare" and "Il tram") (1973; Italian: La porta sul buio) (also writer and producer)
- Deep Red (1975; Italian: Profondo rosso) (also writer)
- Suspiria (1977) (also writer)
- Inferno (1980) (also writer)
- Tenebrae (1982) (also writer)
- Phenomena (1985) (also writer and producer)
- Opera (1987) (also writer and producer)
- Two Evil Eyes (segment The Black Cat) (1990; Italian: Due occhi diabolici) (also writer and executive producer)
- Trauma (1993) (also writer and producer)
- The Stendhal Syndrome (1996; Italian: La sindrome di Stendhal) (also writer and producer)
- The Phantom of the Opera (1998; Italian: Il fantasma dell'opera) (also writer)
- Sleepless (2001; Italian: Non ho sonno) (also writer and producer)
- The Card Player (2004; Italian: Il cartaio) (also writer and producer)
- Do You Like Hitchcock? (2005; Italian: Ti piace Hitchcock?) (also writer)
- Masters of Horror (TV series; episode "Jenifer") (2005)
- Masters of Horror (TV series; episode "Pelts") (2006)
- The Mother of Tears (2007; Italian: La terza madre) (also writer and producer)
- Giallo (2009) (also writer)
- Dracula 3D (2012) (also co-writer)
- La quarta dimensione (2012) (TV series; also writer)
- As writer (not director)
- Scusi, Lei è favorevole o contrario? (1967; English: Pardon, Are You For or Against?)
- Every Man Is My Enemy (1967; Italian: Qualcuno ha tradito)
- Heroes Never Die (1968)
- Once Upon a Time in the West (1968; Italian: C'era una volta il West) (story)
- Today We Kill, Tomorrow We Die! (1968; Italian: Oggi a me... domani a te!)
- Comandamenti per un gangster (1968)
- Commandos (1968)
- La rivoluzione sessuale (1968)
- Cemetery Without Crosses (1969; Italian: Une corde, un Colt...)
- Metti una sera a cena (1969)
- Probabilità zero (1969)
- Legion of the Damned (1969; Italian: La legione dei dannati)
- The Five Man Army (1969; Italian: Un esercito di 5 uomini)
- Season of the Senses (1969; Italian: La stagione dei sensi)
- Man Called Amen (1972; Italian: Così sia)
- Demons (1985; Italian: Dèmoni) (also producer)
- Demons 2 (1986; Italian: Demoni 2) (also producer)
- The Church (1989; Italian: La chiesa) (also producer)
- The Devil's Daughter (1991; Italian: La setta) (also producer)
- The Wax Mask (1997; Italian: M.D.C. – Maschera di cera) (story) (also producer)
Dario Argento as producer (neither writer nor director)
- Door into Darkness (episode "La bambola") (1973)
- Dawn of the Dead (1978)
- Turno di Notte (TV series) (1987)
- Scarlet Diva (2000)