A stretch of highway, which ricalcava the same size and characteristics of the point where the explosive was placed near the junction of Capaci, was built in the Tuscan countryside.
The blasters are placed 600 pounds of explosives.
Following all procedures to activate the large amounts of TNT.
Then the big bang.
The police cameras filmed the scientific explosion.
One way to rebuild the massacre.
A movie that is on record of the process.
Belove, some recostructions, by Italian movies:
- Giovanni Brusca was tasked with killing Falcone. Riina wanted the murder carried out in Sicily in a demonstration of Mafia power, he instructed that the attack should be on a stretch of coastal motorway Falcone had to use to get from the airport on his visits.
- A half-ton of explosives was placed in a culvert under the motorway between Palermo International Airport and the city of Palermo (38°10′58″N 13°14′41″E). Brusca's men carried out test drives, using flashbulbs to simulate detonating the blast on a speeding car, a concrete structure was specially created and destroyed in an experimental explosion to see if the bomb would be powerful enough. Leoluca Bagarella assisted at the scene during preparations.
- Brusca detonated the device by remote control on 23 May 1992. Giovanni Falcone, his wife Francesca Morvillo and police officers Rocco Dicillo, Antonio Montinaro and Vito Schifani were killed in the blast.
- The explosion was so powerful that it registered on local earthquake monitors.
- Riina reportedly threw a party, toasting Falcone's death with champagne, according to the pentito Salvatore Cancemi.